Marvelous Monday // How To Invest In Your Happiness
Posted: April 30, 2018
So here’s today’s Marvelous Monday message:
Do NOT Do The Things
That Make You Happy
Many people provide the advice, “Do what makes you happy.”
Well as an Olympian, a former 3 sport collegiate athlete and a coach of elite performers inside and outside of sport, I can tell you right that – THAT IS BAD ADVICE.
Do NOT do what makes you happy.
- Bending over to vomit after a bunch of 400 meter repeats does not make one happy.
- Ten 6 minute rounds of standup sparing (tachiwaza) in judo, does not make one happy.
- Staying up all night in a medical residency program does not make one happy.
- Practicing math and science problems on www.IXL.com does not make my children happy.
- Sitting down and structuring a sales and marketing funnel to go along with a new product does not make me happy.
- Going to an 8am class in college does not make a student happy.
But….. guess what.. YOUR HAPPINESS IS NOT WHAT’S IMPORTANT!!
What is important is that you DO THE THINGS WHICH WILL ALLOW YOU TO BE HAPPY.
People also say, “Find a career that you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.” BS!!!!!
I absolutely love my jobs. Yes, that’s plural because I wear many hats. And I love what I do. I absolutely love it. And….. you are damn right… it FEELS like work many times. Hard, laborious, painstaking and miserable work. And I love it. And the work does not make me happy.
But it does allow me to do thing that make me happy.
So please, drop this whole, “Well, that doesn’t make me happy” BS.
You are NOT 5 YEARS OLD.
You will NOT always do things that make you happy.
You will have to do the things that need to be done when they need to be done.
You CAN love your job and not be happy about all the work but be joyful that you do have work. (The difference between happiness and joy is a discussion for another day.)
Let’s Be Real
One day you will die. And it’s not going to be all that great for most of us.
You didn’t have any control when you were going to born. And for the most part, you don’t have any say so of how you are going to leave here. Hell, you don’t even know when it’s going to be. But you know that you are going to die. All you can control is what you do right now. And now you have to scratch, claw, and grind your way to and for success.
- So, take the hard classes.
- Write the book!
- Read the long books.
- Lift the heavier weights.
- Get up when the alarm clock goes off to exercise.
- Do the long cardio sessions.
- Study for that LSAT, MCAT, GRE or certification.
- Do the hard sh*t now so that you can make your live easier later.
“You cannot wear the championship ring if you do not wear the SUFFER-ring.” – Dr. Rhadi Ferguson
Don’t worry about being happy now.
Worry about investing in your happiness for later.
Do the hard stuff. Even when you don’t want to. Even when it doesn’t make you….. “happy.”
The bottom, bottom line is this:
DO THE WORK.
Period. No matter what!
Thank you so much for reading this post of the #MarvelousMonday series and I hope you found it encouraging and I also encourage you to pick up my book which is available on Amazon, “Coffee With Rhadi.”
And of course it is available on Kindle and Audible and in paperback as well.
Blessings from here to there,
Dr. Rhadi Ferguson